Frank Lloyd Wright – Johnson Wax Research Tower, 1950.

by Amy Collier

Rooftop of research tower designed by Frank Lloyd Wright / Racine, Wisconsin
Photographer: Eliot Elisofon, November 1950

Exterior night shot of the modern research tower / Racine, Wisconsin
Photographer: Eliot Elisofon, November 1950

Inside the research tower, two chemists working at titration tables
Photographer: Eliot Elisofon, November 1950

Planter made from laboratory bottle, in front of window in the modern glass tower
Photographer: Eliot Elisofon, November 1950

[ Images via LIFE photo archives / ©LIFE ]
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

These 1950 images by notable LIFE magazine photographer Eliot Elisofon capture a glimpse of the then freshly built Johnson Wax Research Tower in Rancine, Wisconsin designed by legendary American architect Frank Lloyd Wright. The cantilever building is part of the Johnson Wax Headquarters, it stands 14 floors tall and is reported as one of the tallest structures ever built where there is no visible support under the outer walls. Learn more about the tower’s structural engineering here (University of Oregon).

Johnson Wax Headquarters is the world headquarters and administration building of S. C. Johnson & Son in Racine, Wisconsin. Designed by American architect Frank Lloyd Wright for the company’s president, Herbert F. “Hib” Johnson, the building was constructed from 1936 to 1939. Also known as the Johnson Wax Administration Building, it and the nearby 14-story Johnson Wax Research Tower (built 1944–1951) were designated as a National Historic Landmark in 1976 as Administration Building and Research Tower, S.C. Johnson and Son.

Read more at Wikipedia >>

Further info/viewing:
Johnson Wax Building – Peter Beers

Previous post:

Next post: